Interests: Bus, Rail, Traffic
Visit London Campaign for Better Transport's website
Contact: Chris Barker or Andrew Bosi
Tel: Chris: 020 8347 7684; Andrew: 020 7354 8514
Email Chris Barker or Andrew Bosi
London Campaign for Better Transport campaigns on local issues and supports the national organisation in pressing for sustainable transport.
Next meeting: Contact Chris Barker for details.
What's on this page:
- January 2017
- September 2016
- May 2016
- January 2016
- September 2015
- May 2015
- January 2015
- September 2014
- January 2014
- September 2013
- May 2013
- January 2013
- September 2012
- May 2012
- January 2012
- September 2011
- May 2011
- January 2011
- September 2010
- May 2010
- January 2010
- September 2009
- April 2009
- January 2009
- September 2008
- May 2008
The Group is campaigning to make Oxford Street more friendly for all users of the road. Some reduction in bus services along the street, to reduce congestion, are currently being made by TfL, while a new London Assembly report recommends more thorough rerouting of bus services.
The GLA commissioned an enquiry into congestion on Oxford Street, Regent Street and Bond Street and issued a report entitled 'Streets Ahead' (PDF 327KB). We contributed to the enquiry and have subsequently released a response to the report (PDF 74KB).
A major focus for the group has been a planned development at Brent Cross, and the group's idea for a new light railway line. The hope is that the North and West London Light Railway (previously called the Brent Cross Railway) could mirror the success of the Docklands Light Railway, as shown in this video. A summary of the railway is available on Wikipedia. The group is a member of the Coalition for a Sustainable Brent Cross Cricklewood Development.
- Response to the planning application for a new shopping centre and other developments at Brent Cross
- Presentation: the benefits of light rail to North London
- Presentation: The plans for Brent Cross
- Presentation: How a light rail line could work.
- Original London Campaign for Better Transport report, showing one possible 'Phase One' of the light railway
- Maps of the proposed line
- Map: three possible routes
- Map: geographically accurate map, showing how the new line could fit in with existing infrastructure
- Map: historical map, showing how parts of it briefly provided an orbital service in Victorian London.